Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ginger Syrup

I have been trolling around the interwebs recently for the purpose of inspiring my lazy butt. More specifically I want to cook more. Even more specifically I want to cook more without having to go to the store first. Taking a quick assessment of the inards of my kitchen I discovered an over abundance of ginger and a half a bottle of Maker's Mark. Hrm.....

While this recipe only involves the first ingredient listed, it can most certainly be used with the latter.

Ginger Syrup
yields 2 cups
3 min prep 60 min cookin

1 huge piece of ginger
1 cup plain white sugar
2 cups water

1. Peel ginger(at least most of it) then either dice up or throw in food processor for about two seconds. You want small chunks, not puree.
   














2. Throw everything in a pot and bring to a boil. After it gets to that bubbling over the pot stage turn down the heat to a nice simmer and leave on for an hour. Smell and stir to make sure those chunks don't start to stick and burn on the bottom.


3. After about an hour the solution will be thicker and the smell of ginger will have filled up your apartment. The next step is to strain out the chunky bits of ginger and throw them in the compost. I'm not sure what else to use them for, there's probably something fantastical though. 

4. Now I don't get too fancy with my technique here. I use my good old goodwill colander and an old mason jar. After the messy relocation let the syrup cool down for a bit. This gives me some time to make a little label and clean up some of the mess.


I've been using this sticky stuff to sweeten my coffee, spice up my lemonade, and take the edge off of a whisky soda. It'll probably stay good for about a month, but I'm thinking it won't last that long!


No comments:

Post a Comment